David B. Francom, Ph.D
Dr. David Francom has two decades of business, economic & IP consulting experience and has testified on unjust enrichment, asset valuation, market share, demand, pricing, lost profit and reasonable royalty damages associated with intellectual property. David provides litigation support and expert witness services throughout the U.S. for a variety of industries including medical devices, healthcare, technology, consumer products and food sciences. He has written numerous Rule 26 reports and testified at deposition and at trial in Federal Court.
Prior to founding Applied Economics Consulting, Dr. Francom served in senior positions at the litigation service firms LECG and Campos & Stratis. He teaches economics to college students and has presented internationally on innovation methods. David is a qualified dispute arbitrator with FINRA (Financial Industry Regulatory Authority).
David has worked as consultant in the investment brokerage and banking industries and has been licensed by the NASD as a registered representative and general securities principal for equity and debt securities, options and futures. He teaches graduate and undergraduate courses in economics and statistics and has also served in university administration.
Consulting and Litigation Experience
IP & Litigation Expert AE Consulting, LLC 2009- present
Senior Managing Consultant LECG 2008 – 2009
Economist Campos & Stratis, Utah 2000-2007
As economic and litigation expert at each of these firms I provide(d):
- economic and litigation consulting services for numerous intellectual property cases involving patents, copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets;
- analysis of lost profit damages, market share, reasonable royalties, unjust enrichment, convoyed sales, inducement, contributory infringement and IP valuation
- expertise on complex commercial litigation matters including breach of contract; fiduciary duty, business alter ego and stock valuation;
- expert testimony at deposition and at trial;
- services for firms in diverse industries including pharmaceutical and medical devices, sports equipment, entertainment, oil drilling, financial services, and complex commercial litigation.
Director of Academic Affairs U. of Phoenix, Utah 2010 – 2017
College Chair, School of Business
- Managed up to 110 faculty and 4,000 students;
- Supervised governing area chairs, faculty quality reviews, faculty annual reviews, university assessment requirements and faculty training;
- Responsible for meeting campus accreditation requirements; hiring and training faculty
- Supervised implementation of new online platform;
Instructor U. of Phoenix, Utah 1993 – present Adjunct Professor Salt Lake Community College 2016 – present
- Teach college students statistics and micro/macroeconomics courses.
PhD, University of Utah, 2012 Economics (Field Emphasis: Industrial Organization, Finance)
MS, University of Utah, 1987 Economics
BA, University of Utah, 1982 Spanish
Presentations & Publications
Aligning Assessment-using workshops to bring about more closely aligned assessment between faculty and Pre- and Post- Alignment Training results and how to better align assessment (round-table) with Jordan Fuller, CPA, 2016 Assessment Conference University of Phoenix, Chicago, IL, April 21, 2016.
Technology-based Classroom Assessment Techniques, with Richard Jaussi, MBA, 2016 Assessment Conference University of Phoenix, Chicago, IL, April 22, 2016.
New Method of Innovation in Biotechnology, Conferencia Internacional Alternativas de Desarrollo Sostenible, Quito, Ecuador, June 7, 2012.
Francom, D. B., Free love, Linux and leishmaniasis: Developing a business model for communitarian innovation [dissertation]. Ann Arbor: The University of Utah; 2012.
Valuing Intangible Assets for Litigation Disputes and Financial Reporting, course presenter, National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts (NACVA), Phoenix, AZ, September 2007
Overview of the VC Environment, discussion Panel Moderator, Licensing Executives Society (LES), Salt Lake City, UT, June 2006
Member of The Federalist Society and American Economic Association
Judge for 2016 and 2017 Licensing Executives Society Foundation International Business Plan Competition
Arbitrator for Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
Past volunteer instructor for English as a Second Language
Past Chair/President for international non-profit charitable organization, Children’s Advocate